Protein Packed Pad Thai
I LOVE Pad Thai. Rice noodles in a spicy peanut-y sauce are my thing. If they're you're thing too, I highly recommend trying my Sesame Peanut Noodles, which is a great alternative when you don't have all the ingredients for a standard Pad Thai recipe. Another delicious noodle option is my Twenty Minute Cacio e Pepe for when you're feeling like having adult mac & cheese (with maybe an adult glass of wine, too).
I associate Pad Thai with being the ultimate comfort food. The type of meal I'd eat on the couch on a take-out night with a good movie and girlfriends. Another great comfort meal is my Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Salad - perfect hot or cold.
This recipe, though, is a much healthier version of your standard Pad Thai take-out. I'm using a coconut milk based sauce with minimal ingredients to lower the calorie count. Instead of white rice noodles I've substituted in brown rice noodles, which have 4 grams of protein per serving. I've also added Gardein beefless tips - a meat-free alternative - which has 16 grams of protein per serving. All together, this meal has 20 grams of protein! For a vegan diet, that's a lot in one meal.
Even better, this entire meal only takes about 15 minutes to make and can easily be meal prepped for lunch or dinner. All together this meal is:
- Protein packed
Also, special shout out to Thrive Market where I ordered two of my main ingredients from! The Annie Chun's Brown Rice Pad Thai Noodles are a staple in my kitchen now and the Goan Coconut Indian Simmer Sauce is great to have on hand when I don't have the time (or energy) to make my own sauce. Thrive Market is like Whole Foods and Costco had a baby - organic and healthy non-perishable items at wholesale prices! What I love most about them, though, is for every membership purchased, they donate one to a low-income family so they can have access to healthy, organic food at an affordable price.
If you're interested in ordering from Thrive Market, use this code to get 25% off your first order!
- 1/4 package of Annie Chun's Brown Rice Pad Thai Noodles
- Gardein Beefless Tips (see packing for serving amount)
- 1 cup of Goan Coconut Indian Simmer Sauce
- 1/2 cup of frozen broccoli
- Optional: sesame seeds
- In a medium pot, boil water. After water has reached a boiling temperature, add the Pad Thai noodles and broccoli to cook and defrost. Keep an eye on the noodles as they cook quickly.
- Heat the beefless tips in a microwave, only cooking for 1 minute at a time, removing to stir and adding back into the microwave. Depending on the wattage of your microwave, this may only require two rounds.
- After about 5-7 minutes, the noodles will be ready and the broccoli fully defrosted. Strain the pasta and broccoli to remove the water and let sit to fully drain any excess.
- Add the simmer sauce to the same pot on low heat. After about a minute, add the beefless tips, noodles, and broccoli. Stir to coat all ingredients and serve immediately. Add sesame seeds if desired.