Protein Packed Chocolate Oatmeal
In case you didn't get enough chocolate on Halloween, here's a healthier way to incorporate a little sweetness into your morning. I'm all about dietary and nutritional powders and additives. My personal favorite is raw cacao powder for it's amazingly rich chocolate flavor in addition to the antioxidants and natural energy that's included in each serving.
I've been on a huge sweet kick lately and this recipe is no different. Earlier this week I made Apple Hand Pies which kind of remind of a cross between a pastry strudel and an apple pie. They've been great for breakfast, crispy and light. Still on the baking trend, I made a Cinnamon Pear Tart which is the perfect fall party dessert because it's so simple and yet so tasty!
One of my biggest nutritional objectives this fall is incorporating more protein into my diet. I've been seeing a personal trainer since the beginning of the summer and it's been one of the best things I've done for myself. However, I wasn't seeing quite the results I hoped to and we realized it's due to my lack of sufficient protein intake.
When you're lifting weights, you need to consume a certain amount of carbs, fats, and protein. These are called "macros" and they're essential to weight loss and muscle building. If you're looking for other meals that will help you hit those macros try this Protein Packed Pad Thai with 20g of protein per serving! Oatmeal is perfect for meeting two out of three of your macros on a daily basis. It's also filling but won't leave you feeling stuffed. This protein packed chocolate oatmeal is also easy meal prep and transport.
I love this breakfast during the cold months, especially when I'm struggling to get out of bed. The oatmeal cooks in under 5 minutes and the rest is simply adding the powders and flavorings! When I take this to work with me, I portion the oatmeal into a mason jar, seal it up and heat it when I'm hungry!
For one serving. If making in a big batch, about 8 oz. is one serving.
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 scoops of protein powder - if you don't have chocolate flavored protein powder I recommend non-flavored
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Optional: frozen or fresh raspberries (or any berries of your choice)
- In a pot, heat 1 cup of water on medium high heat. Once boiling, add the rolled oats. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Once most the water has been absorbed into the oats, add the cacao powder, protein powder and maple syrup. Stir until fully combined.
- Either serve in a bowl or store in a mason jar until you're ready to eat. Add your berries on top and enjoy!