Refreshing Watermelon, Prosciutto, Goat Cheese Salad with Balsamic Agave Dressing
Are you over the Caesar salads and kale power bowls? Glad to hear, because this salad will not stand for any of that.
If you're like me, you love salty, savory, tangy flavors with a little bit of sweet. So basically, all the flavors. I know I've mentioned my lactose-intolerance but one saving grace in my dairy depravation is the creation of goat dairy. Many lactose-intolerants can consume goat dairy as it's the closest to human dairy (which is weird but that's a completely separate conversation).
Goat cheese is creamy, tangy, salty, and a great way to add a smooth texture to any meal. It melts deliciously and crumbles to perfection. In addition, the balsamic dressing adds an acidic layer of sweetness and moisture, especially with the combination of the shallot.
This is intended to serve two people.
- 2.5 cups cubed watermelon - do not buy pre-cut watermelon
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 2 tbsp crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 lb of domestic prosciutto - if you're from Chicago I highly recommend prosciutto from Mariano's deli counter and not prepackaged for the love of God. Whole Foods is also a good option.
- Optional: 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2 one medium shallot
1. Chop the half shallot and place in jar that has a lid. Add the olive oil, balsamic, and agave. Cover with lid and shake up. You want to do this first so the shallot can marinate in the other liquids. Place in fridge.
2. Cut your watermelon, placing chunks that won't be used in a reusable container. Place 1 cup of arugula on each plate with a little over a cup of cubed watermelon on both plates, as well.
3. Trim the fat from your prosciutto. It will be about 1 small-medium slice per plate. You can either casually pull it apart and "sprinkle" it over the watermelon layer or chop it and then add it.
4. Last, sprinkle the goat cheese and chopped walnuts over the prosciutto layer.
5. Take your dressing and drizzle it over the salad. Serve immediately.