BBQ Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Cook outs aren't complete without burgers, right?! Veggie burgers are easy to find but what about a fake pulled pork sandwich or other barbecue flavored option?
Portobello mushrooms are the steak of the vegetarian and vegan world. They absorb flavor very similarly to meat and marinade within a similar time frame. While they don't have any protein, they do provide a comparable texture and if marinaded properly will not even taste like mushrooms!
I love portobellos because they can imitate many meat dishes I no longer eat. They can be deep fried, baked, roasted - the possibilities are endless. I loved making this bbq mushroom burger because the slices reminded me of pulled pork. It also only took me max 15 minutes with is almost as long as it takes to grill a regular burger and probably a quarter of the time it takes to cook pulled pork. I recommend making this recipe for Labor Day Weekend if you want something
- cooked in under 15 minutes
- only two ingredients!
- three portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup + extra for topping barbecue sauce (make sure it's vegan!)
- favorite vegan cheese slices
- burger buns
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash the portobellos before slicing them, pat dry. Remove the stem and slice the mushrooms long ways, as seen in the picture. You want the slices to be somewhat thin so that they don't slide out when you take a bite. Place in bowl.
- Add the 1 cup of barbecue sauce to the bowl and stir until all mushroom slices are coated.
- Once the oven is hot enough, evenly distribute the mushrooms on a silicon or parchment covered baking sheet. Put in the oven for 12 minutes.
- After the mushrooms are done cooking, remove them from the oven and allow to cool while you toast your buns. You can place them in the oven while it cools down for a light crispy-texture.
- Remove the buns, add a slice of cheese, and about 7-10 slices of portobello mushroom with a little extra barbecue sauce if you want. Now it's time to devour!