Buffalo Jackfruit Tacos
Jackfruit and buffalo sauce is where meatless spice lovers join in perfect harmony. I've made recipes before focusing on both of these ingredients because they're so versatile and have a long shelf life. Today we're going to use them together!
Last summer I made my Fajita Style Jackfruit Tacos that will satisfy any Taco Tuesday craving you have instantly. I also shared my Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip during the Super Bowl that's perfect for big parties and easy to make ahead of time!
Today I am combining these two delicious foods - tacos and buffalo sauce - to share my Buffalo Jackfruit Tacos. If you haven't had jackfruit before, don't be intimidated. Jackfruit is relatively tasteless and comes from the same family as figs and mulberries.
I wanted to use jackfruit instead of another meat alternative because I know too many people who are intimidated by this ingredient. They open the can and are immediately confused as to how to make it edible. For future reference beyond this recipe, all jackfruit needs is to be seasoned with spices or a sauce and it will transform into a low carb, low calorie option you'll love to cook with.
I buy my jackfruit from Trader Joe's, it's the only place I've seen it and it's also a reasonable price. I think my 16 oz. can was less than $3 and there's more than enough in one container for multiple meals. After you drain the brine (the liquid in the can), I recommend roughly cutting up the jackfruit into bite sized pieces as they come packaged in quite large chunks.
I love buffalo sauce but I wanted to take it a little further by melting cream cheese into the sauce to make it creamy. To lessen the spice of the buffalo sauce, add an extra tablespoon of cream cheese. The ranch dressing from hot for food will also help cool things off and add to the creaminess.
If you can't get enough spice or tacos into your life already, I highly recommend making my Hazelnut Chorizo Tacos. They are extra spicy and definitely something you've never tried before.
Makes 3 small tacos
- 3 small flour tortillas
- 3 tbsp vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- 1 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup roughly chopped jackfruit
- 1/3 cup Frank's RedHot buffalo sauce
- 1 tbsp red onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- hot for food's ranch dressing or store bought vegan ranch
- Optional: fresh parsley for garnish and carrots
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Drain your can of jackfruit, taking out 1 cup for your tacos. Cut them into smaller, bite size pieces and chop your onion, setting this aside for later.
- In a medium sized nonstick saucepan over low-medium heat, add the buffalo sauce, garlic paste, and cream cheese, stirring to help melt the cream cheese. Once the cream cheese has fully melted, add the jackfruit, gently stirring to evenly coat everything.
- While the buffalo jackfruit heats in the saucepan, place your tortillas in the oven for about 1-2 minutes to heat up. Check on them after 1 minute to ensure they haven't burned.
- Once the jackfruit has thoroughly heated, cover and remove from the heat. You want it to be warm enough that the flavors combine well, but not actually cook the jackfruit.
- After the tortillas have heated to your liking, remove from the oven and place onto a plate. Add a tablespoon of cheddar cheese onto each tortilla, followed by generous scoop of the buffalo jackfruit, evenly distributed between the three tortillas. Sprinkle the onion and drizzle the ranch dressing, topped with the parsley (if desired). Enjoy!