Homemade Pizza Rolls
Who doesn't love pizza? It's pretty much the universal comfort food. What's not to love about the combination of salty cheese, the sweet and savory balance of tomato sauce, and perfectly risen dough? Nothing. There is nothing not to love.
A while back I shared my Fig Sausage Mozzarella Flatbread that had delicious summer flavors, but today I'm here to share a standard wintery comfort food option. If you're looking for more recipes along those lines, check out my Detoxifying Turmeric Carrot Soup to keep you warm and actively fighting against colds.
Pizza is similar to the potato in the sense that it is extremely diverse in shapes, sizes, toppings/dips, and flavors. That's probably why people love them both so much! All jokes aside, though, pizza can be bought as mini sized, burrito shaped, poppers, regular circle shaped, or, in today's recipe's case, rolled up and sliced into perfectly rounds.
Vegan pizza is slowly but surely becoming more convenient option at local grocers and even restaurants. However, there are times when you either want to save on takeout or just enjoy the satisfaction of making something yourself at home. When the case happens to be the latter of those two, you can use this recipe to satisfy those cravings and ambitions.
If there's one thing that's for certain, it'll be me stuffing my face with these bad boys while all my male (and possible a spare few female) friends park it in front of the TV during the Super Bowl. The snacks are the best part right?
Each person I've fed this to so far has been silenced into tasty ecstasy, so you could say it's a unanimous crowd pleaser. The pizza rolls also freeze and reheat perfectly so if you want to make these in advance or keep some in the freezer for yourself on a Friday night you won't run into any problems!
- Pillsbury Pizza Crust Classic
- 1 cup pre-made pizza sauce (marinara pasta sauce will also work)
- 1 1/2 cups vegan mozzarella or your favorite kind of cheese
- Optional suggested toppings:
- vegan sausage
- vegan pepperoni
- shredded or grated vegan Parmesan
- Italian seasonings
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Remove the dough from the packaging and roll out on clean, flat surface with a light dusting of flour underneath to ensure the dough doesn't stick. Keep it in the large square shape but check for any wholes or thinner parts to patch up. You don't want sauce leaking out!
- Spread an even layer of the pizza sauce on the dough. Add whichever toppings you desire (extra cheese encouraged).
- Once all the toppings have been added, gently begin to roll up your pizza long ways, as shown above. It will look like one extra long snake. Then, cut it half for cooking purposes and ease.
- Place the rolled pizza crusts onto a baking sheet, either using a silicon mat, parchment paper, or lightly sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Place in the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Once desired goldenness is achieved, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a full 5 minutes before slicing.
- After the pizza rolls are done cooling, slice about 1-1 1/2 inch thick rolls. Serve with extra pizza sauce and enjoy!