Lemon Tarragon Zoodles with Grilled Chicken
I have been on a fruits and veggie kick this past week and a half! Last week I made a recharging Super Green Detox Smoothie to get my liver and digestion back on track after the long holidays. Then I made an Orange Cranberry Ginger Smoothie to give my natural energy and immune system an extra boost at the beginning of the cold winter week.
Today, I'm going to show you how to make a delicious and flavorful low carb dinner made from simple ingredients, using zucchini squash, lemon juice, a bit of vegan butter, tarragon and vegan chicken for some added protein. This light but nutritious dinner is perfect for lunch, as well, and can be made in less than 10 minutes!
I love pasta just as much as the next person, but sometimes I need to watch my carb intake as I focus on building more muscle. This recipe takes the focus off of complex carbs and spotlights protein instead. The grilled chicken in this meal is the densest component but offers 20 grams of protein in one serving.
This makes a great light lunch option because the zoodles digest easily but the protein helps to maintain the feeling of being full. I hate when I have a heavy meal and have to sit at my desk for another 4 hours while it slowly digests - no thank you! These Lemon Tarragon Zoodles with Grilled Chicken will be the exact opposite of that.
If you're dieting this New Year, I recommend this recipe because it's:
- low carb
- high protein
- low fat
Makes two servings.
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 medium zucchini squash, spiralized
- 1 package of Beyond Meat's Grilled Chicken Strips
- 2 tsp tarragon
- 2/3 to 1 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Using a veggie peeler, peel the skins off the zucchini squash and chop off both ends. Using your spiralizer, spiralize the zucchini completely, placing in a large sauce pan. Mince the garlic and add it to the saucepan, as well.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of the vegetable broth into the sauce pan with the zoodles and garlic, turning the heat up to medium high. Lightly toss the zoodles to help them become saturated in the broth. Stir occasionally.
- After about two minutes, add another 1/3 cup of vegetable broth, the chicken strips, tarragon, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into the saucepan, again lightly tossing to help combine and coat the ingredients thoroughly.
- Cover with a lid, stirring/tossing every two to three minutes. Pierce the chicken with a fork to know it is fully cooked through. If all the broth has been cooked off and the zoodles are not done, add about a 1/4 - 1/3 extra cup of vegetable broth.
- I recommend simply testing a zoodle to know it is done cooking. Once desired texture is achieved, lower the heat and add the tablespoon of vegan butter, thoroughly stirring in with the zoodles and chicken.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!